Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Search
3 minutes read

What Happened To Daniel Dubois?

What Happened To Daniel Dubois featured image
The illness surrounding Daniel Dubois continues to be a mystery after he went away from the public eye since his withdrawal from a February 22 title bout against New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker. (Photo by Richard Pelham/Getty Images)

British IBF heavyweight (200+ lbs) champion Daniel Dubois (22-2, 22 KO’s) has completely disappeared from the public eye after purportedly falling ill which forced him to pull out of a planned February 22nd match against Joseph Parker (36-3, 24 KO’s), leading to many questions surrounding the veracity of the reported ailment he suffered that led to the withdrawal.

Parker would eventually fight and defeat Congolese heavyweight Martin Bakole (21-2, 16 KO’s) after Dubois withdrew from their bout.

The circumstances surrounding Dubois’ illness have continued to remain a mystery since last month, especially considering no proof was provided of any illness he suffered ― unlike another fighter who withdrew from the same card, Floyd Schofield (18-0, 12 KO’s), who later ended up being hospitalized.

While Schofield’s own circumstances had been in doubt until his hospitalization, with no information surrounding led to the fighter’s illness surfacing, Daniel Dubois was not reportedly hospitalized.

The only credible source of information surrounding Dubois’ illness would be his trainer, Don Charles, who came out with at least two different ailments that Dubois suffered when examined on two occasions, each by a different doctor:

It was a Riyadh Season doctor who initially attended [and] examined Daniel [Dubois],Charles told talkSPORT Boxing last week.

From his findings, [the doctor] said, ‘look, he’s coming down with something. It’s in his system’. And swollen glands is the most evident [cause for his illness judging] by his throat, internally and externally.

No decision was [yet] made at this point. He got examined by the Riyadh Season doctor [who] left some tablets prescription.

The second doctor from the British Boxing Board of Control turned up 20 minutes later or so after the first doctor. Again, he did a blood prick to Daniel’s finger to take a blood, [followed by] a urine sample, and results were instantaneous. [The second doctor] said there was some redness in his ears.

According to Charles, the second doctor recommended Daniel Dubois not to participate in a boxing bout over the next 48 hours ― which would leave him unable to face Parker that Saturday on February 22nd. After much debating between Dubois’ team, including promoter and Queensberry Promotions chairman Frank Warren, the decision was made to withdraw Dubois from his fight with Joseph Parker.

Despite Dubois having purportedly sought and gained professional medical help on two separate occasions, the exact nature of Dubois’ illness was never clarified by Don Charles and continues to raise questions surrounding the validity of the heavyweight champion’s illness.

A possible cause for the ailment that the first doctor examined suggests Dubois may have been suffering from internal and external throat swelling. This might just be related to another set of incidents that also occurred in the Saudi Arabian city of Riyadh with several UFC fighters having reported similar issues due to inhaling the paint fume chemicals in the locker rooms of where the UFC Fight Night 250 event was held ― with one fighter even ending up hospitalized.

The UFC event was held three weeks [on February 1st] prior to Dubois’ February 22nd clash against Parker.

Based on this, it is possible Dubois’ place of residence in Riyadh could have the same issues with paint fumes, though this has not been mentioned by anyone within Dubois’ own team. However, given this would paint Riyadh in a negative light, which would be counter-effective to Riyadh Season’s efforts to promote Riyadh as a tourism destination, this could explain why Dubois’ ailment was never clarified.

However, with no actual explanation on what happened with Daniel Dubois, this also breeds untold speculation; none of which is not expected to result in any clear answer any time soon.

share